Graduation

Teaching undergraduate students had been one of the greatest and satisfying experiences  I've had so far. There's nothing more rewarding than knowing how much your 'mentoring' has inspired kids to do better, not only in school, but in their respective lives in general. Here are two kids who made me believe I have done something worthwhile despite my shortcomings as a young instructor. It was fulfilling to see anthropology majors Judymae and Melanie flaunting their sablays, and we decided to wear our grad dresses once again and ham it up in front of the unfriendly photographer before heading onto my house for a little snack.
Today, the teacher's graduating too, after almost eight years of being with UP Mindanao (college life included). While she will miss for sure  all the girls at the Dean's Office (Maam Marcy, Ate Che, Ate Ruby, Ella and Ate Kirsty) and all her co-tambays at the DO (Maam Tess,  Sir Nino, Sir Dennis, Setty, Andi and other coffee-holics), she is off to a new adventure that doesn't include cramming, taxi rides,  hurried meals, an 8-5 shift and intervening tasks in between. Whether it's repacking uling or learning basic carpentry or writing or cooking meals for her mom and siblings, she is going to be fine. For one, she's not that sickly anymore. And she's enjoying newly unlocked gigs in Rock Band.
Meanwhile, some of these kids are graduating too. In one of my attempts to de-clutter the room of readings, 'excessories' and what-nots, I separated 'the basics' (read: investment) from the 'can-live-without'. Now, if I could only find out which cousin likes which belt. 


Comments

  1. Hi Arlene! Wow! Nagtudlo pud diay ka sa UPMin? Great! Did you know that Melanie was once my classmate in hi-skul? Hahaha! Ayaw saba sa iyaha kay basin masuko siya kay mabisto iyang edad.. Haha!

    I'm proud of you both! :)


    -- "Former Sir" Earl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sir Earl! Yes, I taught for a short while. Kabalo ko na older si Mel sa ako but I didn't know ka-batch pud diay mo. So I guess student pud ka ni Tita Merlyn (Bacalangco).

    Great to hear from you Sir. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts